8.10.2009

New Gear






So one of the many great LBS here in Madison was having a sale over the last couple of weeks. I luckily realized that it was still going on this weekend and was able to pick up these items.

Well..the pump I've had for awhile & just wanted to post it up bike nerd style since I like sharing equipment lists with fellow bikers.

Planet Bike ALX Floor Pump- This pump is awesome. The gauge has a really handy color coded system that shows which pressure gauges work for the various styles of tires you may have. The only thing I dislike is the actual nozzle you attach to the valve. I know this is the case for most pumps, but it's kind of a pain in the ass to pull off once you are done filling up. I always make sure to pump a little extra air in to make up for what squeezes out while removing the nozzle.

Pearl Izumi Sugar Shorts- I tried on a couple different pairs of PI shorts while at the store. This is my first purchase of cycling shorts so I wanted to make sure to find the most comfortable pair for the money I spent on them. I ended up getting these for only $43 when they retail for $55. You can order them on-line for about the same price, but once you add shipping it pretty much evens out to retail value. I liked the material and the chamois was comfy feeling.
I originally thought I'd like a short with a longer inseam, but found it to be too much fabric so these were a much better fit more me. K actually got a pair as well. She tried some on and really liked the way they felt. So not only do we have similar bike set-ups..we will now have similar touring outfits. I guess it's kind of fun though so I'm not complaining.

Planet Bike Protege Computer- I never thought of getting a cycling computer until the last month or so. I want to start getting some training in before it gets too cold out. I'm not one for cycling in the winter unless it's for quick fun or a boredom killer. This little 5 function guy was on sale for $19. It's pretty no frills, but it gets the job done and is easy to install if you read the directions. I didn't want to spend an arm on a leg on a computer since it's mostly just for using the odometer and ride time functions. So far it's worked really well.

Pearl Izumi Gloves- I had to get a pair of gloves. Bottom line is my hands have been killing me on my rides lately. I've readjusted my bike, etc and nothing seems to help so I had to get some type of cushioning on my hands. I got these because they were only $15 and they were plain black. I'm sorry, but I hate most of the frilly designs that cycling companies use for women. I don't want flowers on every bit of gear that I have. I like Twin Six because they have more unisex style designs that are more modern & are appealing to my age group. (mid 20's)

Ok sorry for the rant..anyway...

I haven't really had a chance to test them out. I did a short 3 mile ride to the pub and wore them, but I was more focused on testing out my computer. I'll have to update once I actually get a chance to use them.


No comments:

Post a Comment