8.13.2009

17 mile adventure







On my Tuesday commute home I decided I wasn't satisfied with the mere 5.5 miles I was going to be riding back to my cube in a drab building (some may call this an apartment) and decided to take a defying right turn instead of the usual left onto the southwest commuter path.

This direction leads you to a pedestrian bridge that crosses the buzzing highway that runs through the width Madison. I hadn't ventured to that neck of the woods and thought if I continued I'd eventually be able to easily loop around and make my jolly way back downtown. So very wrong was I!

Seventeen miles is not a far distance. In a car that probably equates to 5 or 10 minutes depending on traffic. On a bike in the middle of summer with no water is another story. Had I planned like a sensible person it would not have been any major feet to tell of.

I made my way down the path through some pretty scenery and greenery. There was a stream going through most of the pretty wooded areas along with some nice sitting benches, etc. Then I came upon South Fish Hatchery Road. I crossed following the bike path signs and somewhere along the way I missed my turn that would've taken me back to lovely, peaceful nature scenes. Instead I'm riding the unpleasant sidewalk paralleling the road filled with suburbanites driving home during rush hour. There is a designated bike/bus lane but I'd rather take my chances getting hit by someone coming out of a driveway than a large semi or SUV flying down the road at much faster speeds.

I eventually figured I had missed my turn and took a right onto a road I'm fairly familiar with because it leads to a club I used to frequent in my under age days. It's mostly industrial in those parts with auto shops, printing companies, etc. I eventually found a more country highway looking road that led me back to the Capitol STATE Trail. Now the main difference of the Capitol State and Capitol City is that you have to pay a fee for using the state trail.

I entered at my own risk knowing that at any given time some DNR person or whoever watches over the trail could bust me for not having a permit or having paid to use the trail, but I pretty much had my "i'm lost help me i'm innocent" story planned out to hopefully get me out of any trouble I may come across.

The ride was nice and there were many people out enjoying the trail. I saw quite a bit of roller blade enthusiasts out which kind of surprised me. I guess it's more popular than I thought outside city limits. I unfortunately wasn't in the mood for taking many fotos given I had no idea where I was or if the state trail would lead me back home. I focused on just riding. I didn't care where. I just knew I would eventually get back to civilization.

After a bit of riding I stumbled upon a small campground which was (I believe) lake farm park? When planning for the Token Creek trip (well more like pre-token creek) I had looked into the park as a place to ride to and camp, but it didn't have as many features as Token Creek did.

Still the campsite was quaint and pretty full. It's more of an RV friendly place. The grounds were speckled with white campers and I only saw one lone tent..which was pitched outside of a camper.

I made my way to the water fountains near the restrooms where I spent no less than 5 minutes drinking as much water as I could. Me being a genius and all didn't bring a water bottle with me on my epic ride.

After quenching my ungodly thirst I wondered over to the camp kiosk that provided me with a map showing me I wasn't far from home at all. I was only a mile or two away from downtown. The kiosk also provided me a way to pay for my use of the state trail. I decided it was worth paying the $4 dollars rather than risking the last couple of miles, getting caught by a trail nazi and then forking $30 to the city for getting ticketed.

After another 5 minutes of guzzling water I made me way out of the grounds and towards home. Now that I had my bearings I felt more relaxed and decided to pull onto a boardwalk in the marsh surrounding the campgrounds. The water was pretty close to the top of the walkway which is probably one of the reasons they ask you not to bike on it. I know I wouldn't want to pull my bike out of the muck.

I saw some sandhill cranes flying over head and enjoyed the view for a bit then decided to get back on the trail. I quickly approached a bar/restaurant called the Farm. It was quite intriguing to me for a couple of reasons.

1) Being a fan of the L Word I knew that the spin off they were hoping to shoot after the series ended was called the Farm and was based on the character Alice being sent to prison for murdering Jenny. (if you are a fan and reading this don't you think they sould've kept Dana and killed Jenny in season 3? Thought so too!)

2) Everybody knows townie bars/restaraunts have cheap drinks and great food! I'll have to pit stop there sometime when I have more cash on me and maybe a friend or two to join me.

After the Farm I quickly and regrettably approached the city of Madison's sewage plant. Why they had to route the bike path to run right along it is beyond me. All I know is it smells like poop factory for about a mile so be sure to spray something nice on your shirt/jersey if you plan on riding past that lovely sight.

Poopland was finally over with and I arrived to the entrance of the trail and John Nolen Drive (hallelujah!)

I followed the JN path along beautiful lake Monona and stopped to take a panoramic shot.

I had made it! I only had a few more short city blocks to go and I made it back home safe and sound. I have to say I can't wait for another adventure like that to present itself because it was quite challenging yet fun.






No comments:

Post a Comment